Interested in Adopting an Animal?
Thank you for your interest in adopting an animal from Rifle Animal Shelter. Our staff is very excited about helping you find the perfect friend! When adopting an animal from Rifle Animal Shelter, the adoption fee includes the cost of the spay/neuter, vaccines, microchip, and health check. When it comes to cats and dogs, Rifle Animal Shelter has virtually every type, size, age, breed, energy-level and personality you can imagine!
Please plan on spending about one hour at the shelter to find, meet and adopt your new pet. Once you spot a dog, cat or critter that you are interested in meeting, we can discuss its history, personality and care requirements. If the pet seems like a good match for your family and lifestyle, simply fill out a one-page adoption application. After a quick review you will be able to visit with the animal. If you are considering adopting a dog and already have a dog at home, we will have both pooches meet at the shelter to make sure they will get along well.
If the meeting is a success and you decide to adopt, you can pay the adoption fees and take your new pet home. If you need time to consider your decision, you can put the animal “on hold” through close of business the following day.
It may take some time for your new pet to adjust to its new environment. If you have questions or concerns after adopting, please contact us at 970-625-8808.
To get started:
What to Bring with You on Your Adoption Visit
• If you’re under 18, bring a parent or guardian with you. You must be 18 years of age or older to adopt an animal from Rifle Animal Shelter.
• Bring the family! We encourage you to bring anyone who will be living at home with the animal to the shelter in advance of the adoption to ensure that the animal interacts well with each family member.
• If you have another family dog at home, we encourage you to bring your current dog with you to meet the potential new family member. Dog-meet-cat and Cat-meet-cat visits are not permitted.
The adoption fees for pets at our shelter are a fantastic value. The adoption fees—at minimum—include the cost of the pet’s spay/neuter surgery, first vaccines, a health check and a microchip. For particular pets, the adoption fee could include countless hours of health care, foster care, socialization and training.
The adoption fee for adult dogs is $75 and puppiesunder 5 month are $90. All our dogs are spayed/neutered, microchipped and up to date on their vaccinations. The adoption fee for cats is $30 for one or $50 for two. The adoption fees for kittens are $50 for one or $90 for two. All our cats are spayed/neutered, microchipped, and up to date on their vaccinations.
All pets will be spayed/neutered before being adopted to give them an added health benefit, and to help reduce pet overpopulation. All cats and dogs will also be microchipped so they have a better chance at being returned home if they ever become lost.
Think...before you adopt!
Adopting an animal is a big responsibility and a life-changing decision. Although it can be tempting to bring home a cuddly critter after visiting him or her for the first time at the shelter, it’s important to ask yourself some very important questions before adopting an animal. Are you able to provide a loving, permanent home for a pet? Here are a few points to consider:
• Time commitment for daily exercise, care, and enrichment for the lifespan of a pet.
• Animal management and control regulations in your area. For example: can you legally own a particular breed of dog or an exotic pet in your city or town? Does your landlord and/or HOA accept pets? Do they have policies on certain breeds?
• Family members and household environment.
• Pet allergies.
• The cost of veterinary care, food, grooming, and other necessities.